Friday, June 18, 2010

The Best Summer Ever

What was your favorite summer job? Mine was working as a playground supervisor for the parks and recreation department where I lived. Not only did I get to play outside all day and go on sweet field trips, but I also got to hang out with some pretty awesome kids.

I like to think I made a difference in their lives - in fact I still talk to some of them. Now, of course, they are college graduates and that makes me feel a little old. I loved supervising the program but I always regretted the fact I never participated in it when I was little.

Almost every community has a summer playground program, and Massillon is no exception. What better way for children to spend the summer than playing outside with other kids their age? It is a great way for them to meet new people, make new friends and spend time with good role models.

The program also gives your children a chance to go to different attractions, like the Akron Zoo and Sluggers & Putters. I still remember how much fun those places were and the only time I got a chance to go was with the playground program.

Massillon's Playground Program is for ages 6-11 and is taking place now through August 7 at Community, Oak Knoll and Reservoir Parks. It's one of the most fun things kids can do over the summer.

If you have a child that's too young for the Playground Program but still wants to get together with other children, we also offer a Shorties Preschool Club twice a week in July for children ages 3-5. I had a chance to teach this program last year and it was way fun. We did crafts, played interactive games, sang songs (the too-di-ta song is my favorite) and read books. The program ends with some kiddie pool time, too, and no kid can resist that!

Don't miss either of these great programs. It will keep your kids outside and having fun in a supervised environment while you are at work, running errands, or just enjoying the silence of having the house to yourself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment