Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Farmer's Market of Massillon

One of my favorite summer traditions is starting up this weekend - The Farmer's Market of Massillon. I have to be honest, though - it wasn't always one of my favorite traditions.

I had never shopped at a Farmer's Market until I came to this one last year. I was actually a little skeptical at first. I thought the prices would be high and the food wouldn't be that great since it was grown in someone's garden. I was completely wrong.

The fruits and vegetables for sale at the market are reasonably priced and delicious. I found it to be a great opportunity to try new and different vegetables I loved at restaurants but was reluctant to purchase in the store, like summer squash and fresh green beans. I am also a sucker for home-cooked baked goods and lucky for me, those are in abundance at the market. 

When I first attended the farmer's market, I was also shocked at the variety of goods. There were home made soaps and lotions, crafts, flowers, jams and jellies and more. I always thought farmer's markets just sold fruits and vegetables. But no - now I discovered things like Pepper Butter. I was so curious I had to buy it and it was great!

We are nailing down all of the logistics for the market this year. We have a total of 19 vendors there for the whole season, and this week we have an additional 3 vendors selling by the week. They are organized into a new market formation, making your shopping experience safer and more convenient. So join us for the first market of the season this Saturday, 8 am-12 pm at the Massillon Recreation Center. The market will continue ever Saturday through October 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment